The food we eat goes through a series of process in order to provide energy and nutrients to our body. Digestive system is mainly responsible for regulating good condition of body by aiding digestion, absorption, and excretion of food. It comprises of organs like gastrointestinal tract, pancreas, liver, gallbladder, colon, bowel, anus, and stomach. Proper functioning of these organs is necessary to maintain sound status of digestive system. The term ‘digestive diseases’ refer to a set of health conditions that emerges in digestive system of our body when it fails to function in an appropriate manner. Such ailments can adversely affect entire digestive system as well as surrounding body parts if left untreated. Some digestive disorders may even prove fatal. Therefore, patients observing any abnormality related to digestive system must seek medical assistance in order to avoid severe complications.
Major Types of Digestive Diseases
The following list depicts some of the major types of digestive diseases.
- GERD Acid Reflux – In medical terms, GERD stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease which occurs due to persisting indigestion and heartburn condition. Most common warning signs of GERD acid reflux include chest pain, dry cough, swallowing difficulty, sore throat, hoarseness in voice, and sour liquid, and lump-like sensation in throat area. Chronic stomach acid may cause GERD acid reflux. Apart from that, obesity, diabetes, asthma, connective tissue disorders, and smoking may also result in GERD acid reflux over a period. In most instances, GERD acid reflux can be treated with strong medications. However, if medications do not serve the purpose, doctors may perform a minimally invasive surgical procedure known as fundoplication to treat the unusual symptoms and help patients live a quality life.
- Appendicitis – Appendix is a pouch-like organ which is interconnected with large intestine. There is no apparent reason why we have an appendix. Appendicitis occurs when appendix becomes severely inflamed and results in problems like sharp and sudden abdominal pain, nausea, loss of appetite, constipation, and abdominal bloating condition. An underlying infection is known to give rise to appendicitis. In majority of cases, healthcare professionals perform appendectomy surgery which involves removal of appendix from body in order to control and treat trouble-causing appendicitis
- Crohn’s Disease – Crohn’s disease is a serious disorder that comes in existence due to inflammation on outer lining of digestive system. This inflammation may spread in entire digestive tract and give rise to symptoms like diarrhea, extreme tiredness, unintentional loss of weight, and bloody stools. Doctors reveal that weak immune system, faulty genes, and habit of smoking are the major risk factors associated with Crohn’s disease. Unfortunately, Crohn’s disease cannot be cured completely. However, steroid and immunosuppressant medications and surgical procedures like ileostomy can significantly reduce the symptoms of this ailment.
- Gallstones – Hardened cholesterol deposits lead to the formation of gallstones in gallbladder of an individual. Presence of gallstones can be easily identified by signs like sharp and intense pain in abdomen, back pain, pain in shoulder area, chills and frequently occurring fever. Sometimes, it may not cause any symptoms. Precise reason for gallstone formation is not known. However, accumulation of bile containing high cholesterol levels due to improper eating habits is considered to be a major risk factor for development of Doctors may prescribe medicines that can dissolve gallstones or recommend laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery in order to relieve patients.
- Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome – Inflammatory bowel syndrome refers to a medical condition that arises when immune system attacks its own healthy cells that are present in digestive system. It may result in ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease if remain untreated for prolonged period. Diarrhea, fatigue, reduced appetite, and bloody stools are the major indications of inflammatory bowel syndrome. Family history and habits like smoking may fuel up the chances of developing inflammatory bowel syndrome. Primary treatments include intake of anti-inflammatory medications, immunosuppressant drugs, and antibiotics. Whereas in severe cases, doctors may remove damaged areas or perform proctocolectomy surgery that involves complete removal of affected colon and rectum.
- Stomach Cancer – Stomach cancer appears when harmful cells that are cancerous start to grow and spread in patient’s stomach area and nearby structures. Extreme tiredness, persistent bloating and heartburn, indigestion, intense abdominal pain, and unintentional weight loss are the most common indications of stomach cancer. People who eat less amount of healthy foods including fruits, vegetables, fresh juices, and so on and consume processed food items on a regular basis are at a greater risk of developing cancer of stomach. Standard treatment options for stomach cancer include gastrectomy surgery, chemotherapy, targeted drug therapy, and radiation therapy.
- Gallbladder Cancer – Gallbladder cancer forms due to multiplication of cancerous or malignant tissues in gallbladder of an individual. Patients must consult a surgeon if symptoms like jaundice, nausea, fever, pain and abdominal bloating last for more than a couple of weeks. Exact cause of gallbladder cancer is not recognized yet. History of gallstones and conditions like gallbladder polyps and gallbladder infection are known to raise the chances of occurrence of gallbladder cancer. Early stages of gallbladder cancer may be treated easily by gallbladder removal surgery. Whereas, in advanced stages, chemotherapy and radiation therapy or combination of these procedures may prove beneficial for patients.
- Liver Cancer – Liver cancer is a dreadful disease that starts to grow when abnormal cells begin to multiply uncontrollably in liver. Patients with an underlying liver cancer are likely to encounter symptoms such as general weakness, abdominal swelling, chalky stools, pain in upper region of abdomen, and yellowish discoloration of skin or jaundice. There is no specific cause that can determine how liver cancer However, patients suffering from hepatitis B or C, cirrhosis, diabetes, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease are highly prone to developing liver cancer. Key treatment options for liver cancer are surgical removal of liver, liver transplant surgery, cryoablation, radiofrequency ablation, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
- Colon Cancer – Colon cancer appears due to malformation of cells or tissues in large intestine. No one knows the root cause of colon cancer. However, faulty genes, inflammatory intestinal conditions, improper diet, obesity, alcohol or chain-smoking may result in colon cancer over a long interval. Major symptoms associated with this condition include abdominal cramps, rectal bleeding, diarrhea, and extreme tiredness or weakness. Early stages of colon cancer can be effectively treated with colonoscopy procedure. Whereas, advanced stages may require colectomy surgery, radiation therapy, targeted drug therapy or chemotherapy procedure.
- Anal Cancer – Anal cancer is a life-threatening disorder that forms due to growth of cancerous cells in anus or anal canal. Patients struggling with anal cancer may have to face difficulties like bleeding from anus, itching, and sharp pain, significant lump around anus. Multiple sexual partners, smoking, anal sex, human papillomavirus (HPV), and family history of anal cancer are the prime risk factors that may aggravate such condition. Surgical removal of cancerous anal portion, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy are the major treatment options for anal cancer. Doctors will outline a suitable medical plan according to severity of disease, overall condition, and requirements of patients.
Digestive Diseases in Gulf Countries
Gulf countries like Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates (UAE) are blessed with pleasant landscapes, monuments, and amazing environment. However, according to recent healthcare reports of World Health Organization (WHO), total ratio of patients struggling and falling prey to death due to digestive diseases in these Gulf countries has increased considerably in last few years. Although healthcare system of these countries is extremely standard, not everyone is able to take advantage of medical provisions. The reason is high cost of treatments. To be honest, prices of medical treatments that hospitals in Gulf countries normally demand from patients is very high. Not everyone can afford such expensive facilities. Medical tourism from Gulf countries to nations like India is definitely a better alternative for patients.
Best Benefits of Availing Medical Tourism in India with IndianMedTrip
IndianMedTrip is a highly-acknowledged healthcare consulting firm in India that caters various top-class treatments for digestive diseases. Medical consultants at IndianMedTrip has great association with all prominent accredited super-specialty healthcare centers and well-qualified doctors in India. IndianMedTrip offers free online consultation to overseas patients, especially to the ones from Gulf countries and outlines most suitable treatment according to their requirements. In addition to this, IndianMedTrip assists Gulf patients in obtaining their medical visas and stays in touch with each of them throughout their medical tourism in India as well as during their postsurgical period even when they fly back to their native Gulf countries. If you are someone seeking medical tourism in India, you will need to go to the rightmost corner of this page and fill up a basic inquiry form over there. You may also take benefit of free call-back facility provided by IndianMedTrip. Healthcare consultants at IndianMedTrip will positively call you within 48 hours of time and assist you in availing medical tourism in India for digestive diseases in a hassle-free manner. So, send your inquiry now in order to improve your quality of life.