Neurosurgery In India, which is also known as Neurological Surgery is a medical specialty which is basically concerned with diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation & prevention of disorders affecting any portion of the human nervous system including peripheral nerves, spinal cord, brain & extra-cranial cerebrovascular system.
Functional Neurosurgery Procedures
- Conventional Open Surgery – Neurosurgeons during this procedure open the skull by creating a large opening so as to access the brain. Nowadays, techniques involving small openings with the help of endoscopes & microscopes are also employed. Methods involving use of small craniotomies in conjunction with high-clarity microscopic visualization of neural tissue enables attain excellent results. Nevertheless, these open methods are still traditionally used in cases of trauma or emergency situations.
- Microsurgery – Largely utilized in several aspects of neurosurgery, microvascular techniques are normally used in restoring carotid endarterectomy& EC-IC bypass surgery. Clipping of aneurysms are commonly performed under microscopic vision. Minimally invasive spine surgery also invariably makes use of microscopes or endoscopes. Laminectomy, Microdiscectomy&Artificial Disc Replacementprocedures also normally rely on microsurgery.
Other Neurosurgery Procedures
- Stereotaxy – Neurosurgeons use Stereotaxy to approach minute targets in brain through minimal openings. Often used in functional surgery where electrodes are required to be implanted or when gene therapy is instituted with high level of accuracy like in cases of Parkinson’s Disease or Alzheimer’s diseases. Moreover, intraventricular hemorrhages can potentially be successfully evacuated by using a combination of open & stereotactic surgery methods. Conventional surgery methods using image guidance techniques are also common nowadays & are referred to as stereotactic navigation, navigated surgery, computer assisted surgery or surgical navigation. Quite similar to mobile or car Global Positioning System (GPS), StealthStation& Curve Image Guided Surgery systems use electromagnetic fields or cameras to capture & relay patients’ anatomy & surgeons’ precise movements relating to the patient on computer monitors located within the operating room. Sophisticated computerized systems are used before & during stereotaxy procedure in order to help orient surgeons with 3-D images of anatomy of patients including targeted tumors.
- Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Surgery – Commonly employed by neurosurgeons wherever appropriate, minimally invasive Endoscopic Surgery is commonly used in chordomas, craniopharyngiomas, pituitary tumors, & repairing of cerebrospinal fluid leaks. Endonasal endoscopy is also at times carried out as a team of ENT surgeons & neurosurgeons. Ventricular endoscopy is normally used in treatments of neurocysticercosis, colloid cyst, hydrocephalus &intraventricular bleeds. Disturbances of cerebrospinal fluid circulation & repair of craniofacial disorders is performed by neurosurgeons occasionally teaming-up with maxillofacial & plastic surgeons while Cranioplasty surgery for craniosynostosis is normally performed by pediatric neurosurgeons with or without any help of plastic surgeons.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery – Neurosurgeons often team up with radiation oncologists so as to provide stereotactic radiosurgery in tumor & AVM treatments. Most common stereotactic neurosurgery solutions include Novalis Radiosurgery, CyberKnifeRadiosurgery & GammaKnifeRadiosurgery
- Endovascular Neurosurgery – Utilizing endovascular image guiding procedures for treatment of vasospasms, spinal malformations, strokes, carotid stenosis & AVMs, endovascular neurosurgery applies techniques like diagnostic angiography, embolization, clot retrieval, stenting & angioplasty to attain medical goals. Placement of Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt, commonly called VP Shunt is also a common neurosurgery procedure often performed in cases of congenital hydrocephalus. Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus or NPH is the most common indication calling for VP shunt in adults.
- Neurosurgery of the Spine – Covering the areas of lumbar, thoracic & cervical spine, indications for neurosurgery of spine include spondylitis, arthritis of spinal discs & spinal cord compression resulting from trauma. Balance issues, difficulty with gait and/or numbness & tingling in hands or feet can be due to cervical cord compression. Spondylosis is a condition involving arthritis & spinal disc degeneration which may compress the spinal cord and often result in disc herniation & bone-spurring. Special instruments & power drills are often utilized to correct compression associated problems of spinal canal. Discectomy procedure using special rongeurs will effectively remove disc herniations of spinal vertebrae. Once discs are removed, the space is replaced with implants that create bony fusion between vertebral bodies located above & below. Quite often Laser discectomy is used to decompress nerve root instead of disc removal, but this procedure is mostly applied for lumbar discs. Laminectomy is another procedure of spinal neurosurgery which is applied in removal of lamina portion of vertebrae so as to make room for compressed nerve tissue.Radiology assisted minimally invasive spine surgery procedure includes Scoliosis & vetebroplasty techniques in managing certain types of spinal fractures. Anterior cervical discectomy & fusion is another common surgical intervention which is performed for disc disease of cervical spine. Nevertheless, each procedure mentioned above may not suit all patients. Therefore, neurosurgeons undertake careful selection of patients so as to determine which one of them is the most suitable procedure. It is however important to note that neurosurgery of spine will not effectively relieve symptoms in case there is previous permanent neural tissue damage.
- Neurosurgery for Chronic Pain – This is in fact a sub branch of functional neurosurgery where techniques like pain pumps, peripheral stimulators, spinal cord stimulators & deep brain stimulators are employed. Neurosurgery of peripheral nervous system is quite possible & includes common procedures for peripheral nerve transposition & carpal tunnel decompression Then there are many other types of problems with peripheral nervous system & nerve entrapment conditions which can also be treated very well.
Affordable Neurosurgery in India
India has emerged as a popular global medical tourism destination for international patients who are distressed by the rising costs of healthcare within their homeland. Medical treatments including surgery in India are at par with the best in the world & at almost 30% of the cost which patients would have to pay in western countries like UK, Canada & United States. IndianMedTrip is one of the fastest growing healthcare tourism companies which is devoted to bring best quality medical interventions including neurosurgery at low cost to people from all around the world. Associated with top neurosurgeons & best accredited hospitals in the country, IndianMedTrip services begin with the first phone call & will seamlessly take you through a successful medical experience in a foreign land.